Granite vs. Quartz

Both granite and quartz are popular options for countertops, but people are typically very split on which material is better. There are many similarities between quartz and granite in Plainfield, but there are simultaneously many differences as well. Granite is an extremely hard stone and it is 100 percent natural. Granite is obtained through quarries, cut down to the proper size and polished. Quartz is not 100 percent natural; it is 95 percent natural but the other 5 percent is made from polymer resins. Our team at Best Buy Interior Finishes wants to break down the differences between the two.


If you are shopping for granite in Plainfield, you’ll quickly realize it comes in a wide variety of colors and patterns. This is due to a cooling and solidifying process of molten materials. Many people like granite because no two countertops are the same, but you can still pick out the perfect piece for your kitchen.

Quartz also comes in a wide variety of appearance options, but it is customizable. This makes the selection process a lot easier if you have a particular aesthetic that you want to achieve.

Environmental Impact

The process of obtaining granite uses a lot of energy, as it needs to be quarried. This is especially the case if you are looking for a high-end piece of granite that needs to be imported from another country.

Quartz is the more environmentally friendly option as it is regionally and locally manufactured.


If you have a granite countertop, make sure to clean it on a daily basis with soap and water or with a mild household cleaner. Be sure that the cleaning solution that you are using is safe for granite, as there are oils and acids that can stain it. You should have your granite countertops resealed roughly once a year.

Quartz is lower maintenance, as it doesn’t require any resealing.

Still can’t decide which material is right for you? Rely on our team at Best Buy Interior Finishes & Granite to help you every step of the way!